Wednesday, June 18, 2008

17 TOAS

I have experience using some of the ELM Databases/references. We use OCLC almost everyday. ProQuest is the one our patrons use most from ELM searching for articles. I have not used the alert feature before so I set up an alert. It was an easy process and took very little time. This is a nice feature and I can see it being very useful to patrons, example ones following the latest news on the up coming elections.

I had not used my EBSCO account to set up a web page before. I did some exploring of this tool, and spent about an hour playing around with the page composer. It is not the worse one I have worked with but it seemed to be slow. I really am pressed to come up with a good use for it, other then giving people the experience of setting up a web page.

We have had several patrons interested in ebooks on NetLibrary. I suspect that number will increase as time passes.

ELM has a lot to offer students doing research. I guess my concern is, most students doing a research paper are only allowed one or two sources from the Internet. SO, are news articles from Pro Quest considered Internet or news. LOL

ELM is a wonderful source of information for the public. WAY TO GO MINNESOTA!

No comments: