Tuesday, June 17, 2008

15 TOAS

Second Life is almost the same as the old Active Worlds site. I was a member there for a few years, long ago lol. Virtual settings are great fun, and I can see the appeal to teens. I m happy to see they are using it for more then just entertainment now, love the idea of the library in a virtual world. I love the creativity that you can express on sites like Second Life.

Virtual worlds like Active Worlds, and Second Life are great fun. It gives you a chance to express yourself in things you can create. What a wonderful art form! I m all for kids of all ages learning to use technology in a creative way. It's a bit expensive for kids that really want to be involved with it though. They charge for the membership (without which you can't build a house). There is a charge for virtual land, (does this bother anyone else). I was happy to see the Library was free =D. I know the company that produces the site needs to have income to cover their expenses

I will be very interested in seeing where they go with the concept of virtual classrooms. Very cool idea! Let's hope they keep them free.

Does Second life have a place in the library? I think it is worth a web link on the teen page, as long as you can use it free as a guest. Call me old fashion but Libraries should be free and things we link to, or give a library endorsement should also be free to everyone.

This blog is coming from a WOW (World of Warcraft) fanatic!

The graphics are what sell me on MMOPRGs. There is no comparison with the graphics from Second Life and World of Warcraft. The social aspects are similar, you meet alot of people in either setting. For me personally I would rather be in a virtual setting in a game then on a chat.
Second Life is basicly a virtual chat room. Second Life does let you be creative and actually create your environment, that I really like. You are probibly wondering but what can you learn on a game like WOW, you learn to work with other people together as a group to reach a goal.
The environment for Second Life is aimed at the teenage person, while WOW is for any age. My Guild in Wow has memebers from age 12 to 79, in fact we have several families that play together.

Would I recommend Wow for the library? NO.

No comments: