Tuesday, June 10, 2008

10 TOAS

Wiki's, Wiki's, Wiki's, where do you start.

I Thought the "Common Craft video on Wikis" was great, short and to the point. Very easy to get the basic idea of what a wiki is.

I was having so much fun exploring the wikis that I lost track of the time and it's now midnight. I will be a bit tired at work tomorrow but also better informed.

SJCPL Wiki: I thought St Joseph County Libraries Subject Guide was awesome. What a wonderful use of a Wiki. It is a great way to get rid of the "old rolodex" of frequently requested information we hide behind the desk. (I can hear you laughing!)

Book Lovers Wiki: I found this a nice idea also for reading clubs to use a wiki. I am going to pass this idea along to our Teen Reading Club. I think they would love a spot to review the books they read for other teens.

Library Success: I was sad to see the site had a vandalism problem. What a wonderful use again for a wiki, sharing ideas with other libraries around the world.

The Albany County Public Library Staff wiki: It's a fine idea. Not sure it would be useful with our library, simply because we have our procedures manual online and a daily news spot to keep us informed on what is happening in our 32 branches. I did find it interesting to look at though.

The Library Blogger's Wiki: This was one of my favorites, and took up a lot of my time lol. It was fun seeing how many libraries are blogging and to be able to see what they are blogging about.

The most interesting thing about the Wiki concept to me was that you can interact with the site.
You can post comments and thoughts, or add some information to the site, wow.

I can understand why the faculty at many schools would ban "Wikipedia" as a research source. How trust worthy is a site that can be added to and changed by anyone?

I went in to the 23 things on a stick wiki, (try saying that fast 3 times) and added a note or two for fun. It was very easy to do, and reading the comments was great.

No comments: