Monday, May 26, 2008

Rasmus on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Rasmus on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Rasmus was my Great Grandfather, and one of my hero's. I never got to meet him, he died two years before I was born, but I know him well from all the stories my Grandfather and Mother told me about him. He immigrated to America from Denmark in 1896, with his pregnant wife Marie and three children, the youngest was my Grandfather. They couldn't speak English and the only possessions they had were packed in a trunk. He learned English from his brother in Chicago, where they stayed for six months while Marie recovered from child birth. They bought a farm by Elmdale Minnesota. They traveled by train as far as Little Falls and walked to their home following the old Indian trail. Rasmus went on to become a farmer, served on the school board, and on the Church board. The proudest day of his life was the day he became a United States Citizen. His Citizenship papers he had framed and hung on the wall of his home.

No comments: