Sunday, May 25, 2008

2nd TOAS

I found Mr. Blyberg's thoughts on Library 2.0 interesting, I can't say I agree 100%. I agree we must keep up with patrons needs. I disagree with his shifting funding for a coder instead of
another Reference Librarian. We will always need Librarians!

The Library 2.0 concept is pushing us forward to the future. Libraries are not only repositories of knowledge, they are community centers, entertainment centers, and institutions of learning.
If we are to continue to be of value to our patrons we need to be "aware" and keep abreast of the changing technology as well as the needs of our patrons. All Librarians know that we are continually learning and passing on new ideas, new concepts, new ways of doing things to our patrons. Library 2.0 shows us what is possible. What we choose to use from it, is yet to be seen.
Budget and the economy as you all know decide how far we will go.

I really believe in better inter-library cooperation as being the biggest plus in Library 2.0.
The pooling of Library resources, benefits us all. Technology is helping to bring that about.

I have signed up for 23 things on a stick because I m curious about what is new for Libraries in the Technology area. I have a strong interest in computers, and spend a lot of time online at home. I will be giving up some of my gaming time for 23 things on a stick. Though game withdrawal is painful, I need to expand my knowledge for work and for my self.

No comments: